Discussion in 'Advanced Marijuana Cultivation' started by ginoSA, Apr 28, 2010.
Hey guys and gals
Is it safe to use my dehumidifier's water on my plants?
I always tell people they should not use dehumidifier water. The condenser coil contains a lot copper and lead which can easily leech into the water. There is also usually bacteria and garbage that grow in the condenser and tank. You might get away with it for a while but I don't recommend using it.
Heres the other side of the coin...
If it is a used unit and like above poster said its not worth it if the coils are dirty. But they can always be cleaned. Anything left un clean will be dirty!
But the water that comes out will have a ppm of around 10 or something. It is the cleanest water you can get because of how its extracted from the air.
So if its a new unit or you clean it properly YES its good water for your plants.
How I know this......I worked as a commercial water tech, we handled large water damages, like the ones that take over 20 stories in a large highrise. We use to drink the water out of our dehums when they shut off the water supply for the building.
I say do it, maybe treat the water with some bleach or H202 and like Dirt and Doc said, make sure your copper is clean!
Hell if Dirt was drinking it I think you can give it to your plants!
yeah great advice, I'd add a bit of hydrogen peroxide, and make sure you pH test it first, but if it's a newish unit and it hasn't been sitting for over two days you're probably good to go
When we got done using our units we would clean the coils with light bleach water. As long as you are not doing heavy construction, smoking or cooking by them they will stay cleaner than the ice at the local corner store...lol...
.............I wouldn't be as concerned about the bacteria and junk as I would be about heavy metals contamination. They solder those joints with a lead based solder. That stuff leeches into the water, slowly, but heavy metals build up in your system over time. Copper leeches a bit too. Plants need some copper but too much is definitely not good. I'm sure that using it on a temporary basis is probably fine, but prolonged use could cause problems. I'm sure there are worse sources of water but I like knowing EXACTLY what's in my water. That's just me though.
NO YOU SHOULD NOT USE YOUR DEHUMIDIFIER WATER ON YOUR PLANTS...I know we all want to be "greener" and use materials that would otherwise be wasted or thrown out...BUT DON'T DO IT!!! The dehumidifier's coils are dirty and the water tends to stagnate..this can breed bacteria and worst of all mold...you can probably get away with it if you treat the water with hydrogen peroxide but aside from that kind of treatment I wouldn't jeopardize my grow to recycle water that you pretty much get for free...Good luck!!!
Thank guys, for some reason i was not subscribed to my own thread LOL
Thank for all the advise, i bought a brand new one and its set on "continuous" because its very humid in my garage. I get 2 liters of water every day from it.
I will use it on one plant because im still waiting for my PH meter. but so far after 2 weeks the plant actually looks better than the ones that get normal water.
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated
i have my dehum. setup to drain it to my res. it maybe adds a gallon a day or so to a 45 gal res. and it makes it so i dont have to drain the dehum. every day making my system more automated and easier to leave unattended for a few days. Never had any problems either
It could take years to see the effects of heavy metal poisoning. It's amazing how people are all worried about using chemical nutes and have no qualms about putting lead right into their plants. To each their own I guess.
Any way to test how much lead is in your water? Would that show up in a ppm reading?
Ok so i live in an older home with copper pipes.....I guess i should be worried about lead poisoning...
Uh, Yeah! Why do ya think it's being phased out?
Don't shoot the messenger. I could care less what anyone chooses to do with the info. I'm just putting it out there for people who might be concerned about their health. Heavy metal poisoning is cumulative. It builds up in human tissue, so being exposed to a little bit isn't really a problem. The more exposure one gets, the more chance of poisoning. The symptoms may be subtle at first.
You'd need a specific test for lead or a gc/ms test. PPM only tells you the approximate amount of "junk" is in your water. It could be good "junk", it could be bad "junk". It doesn't tell you what, specifically, is in your water.
Right on Doc, I didnt know. Do you think its a serious threat or just a possibility?
I dont have much copper pipe just the fittings.
Honestly, no I don't think it's a serious threat. That being said I think it's prudent to try and limit your exposure. I live in a newer house and am lucky enough to not have any copper pipe. I still don't drink my tapwater. It's utter crap! As long as you run your water through a Britta or some other type of carbon filter it will remove most of the heavy metals. They don't do anything to remove dissolved solids (hardwater) but if you want to use dehumidifier water I'd at least run it through a carbon filter.
Avoid those lead painted Chinese toys!!!
so some people say yes, and some say no... if in doubt and you don't want to waste the purified water, put it in the iron and use it to iron out your clothes!!! XD
Separate names with a comma.