Discussion in 'Advanced Marijuana Cultivation' started by shhhmokey, Aug 15, 2015.
Where do I find info on you grow, look great!
I joined this forum right in the middle of bloom and had no idea grow journals were a thing so I wasn't able to document that grow BUT I've started a grow journal since then. Titled "here w3 go." I'm still pretty new to growing so it's all been trial and error.
I done some light defoliation my first indoor plant, I'm not suggesting to do so.. but no big harm with this plant as top pic date is Jan-7th, middle pic date is Jan-21st, 14 days later, big change... Last pic taken Feb-18th...
My last batch where I hardly defoled at all actually turned out to be about the same dry weight as when fairly heavily top defoled with lower leaves left on. Which is better, I don't know at this point. I guess better air flow and less water transpiration would be good things though. Same root space all going to the flowers seems advantageous, at least when growing in containers of medium.
I'll take entire leaves from the middle parts of the stalks, big resinless fan leaves, but I prefer to just take the tips off the leaves that are supplying top buds, like half of the leaflet. That's usually enough to reduce shading of other buds. Leaves are normally way too long but it's best to leave at least some of a top leaf rather than none. I mean leaves with some resin on them somewhere. They still get use out of even little stubs as long as there's some leaf part left. I think they're evolved in such a way that the tips can get eaten by animals and the rest of the leaf still stays completely functional.
I defol as needed. First 2-3 weeks of flower I'm training as needed, removing shoots that wont reach canopy, removing larf, leaves blocking areas I want to have light, and leaves so dense condensation collects on them (recipe for pm). By day 21 she's in her final form. Some fan leaves may need to be removed around this time (day 21), but only the ones blocking bud sites is removed. Dead/damaged leaves are removed when they arise. Around day 47 I'll revist defol for anything blocking buds that I cant tuck out of the way.
In my vertical grows, I use screens and soft ties to tie the plants to the screens. I do some defo but where I can I will tuck the leaves back thru the screen, I remove them after the leaves get big enough to take over their job of providing energy to that bud site. I do remove fans that block light and larf.
Did a medium defo on 6/1, and started 12/12 on 6/3
6/5, 4 days later
6/10 Day 7 of 12/12
In those 5 days the plants stretched/grew beyond the screens. So we removed the plants from the tent and began Super Cropping, main stem and some of the other upper branches. Also remove some of the tucked fans, tucked some more and removed fans blocking bud sites.
6/12 Day of 9 12/12
I pulled the ladies from the tent and all the areas that had been SC'ed had turned up toward the lights, did some tieing of the SC main stem and branches and did a medium defo. Moving bud sites around to fill in voids on the screen, this will continue until the screen is full. Will continue removing fan that can't be tucked behind the screen and are blocking bud sites and on day 21 will do a heavy defo and further SC'ing as needed.
Will take a pic when I pull them out of the tent again in a few days to see how they are responding to the abuse, LOL My ladies in a nutshell! "Whip me, beat me, call me Edna" by Fijensen
Thank you. This post made sense.
Separate names with a comma.