That's what my rows look like, they are large mounds. The rows themselves are fine. After I tilled, I went through with a shovel, and a hoe, and dug out where my walking rows were about 10-12"down, and put that dirt on my rows to build them up. My mounds are 16"+ higher than the walking rows. I was always planning on doing what you said, put hoses in the walking rows for watering. I went out yesterday with a pitchfork and broke up one of the walking rows to see what was going on, it's not as bad as I thought. Only the top 4" or so is really compacted, everything under that is still fairly loose. Almost like it made a mud cap. I'm running with it.