I'll share. Popping seeds and then getting them to come up well was a bigger issue for me than most. I tried everything including heating mats. I now follow this protocol and I've had success rates above 90-95%. Here's what I do.Nice I appreciate the help, I think my mistake has been keeping thing too cool. I thought the heating mat was a gimmick.
1. Soak the bean in a small cup of water for 2-3 hours. Add 1 drop of "Superthrive" to the water. Note: this is the only time I ever use Superthrive.
2. Soak at least half a folded napkin in the Superthrive water, and squeeze together so the folded napkin is equally wet.
3. Put the bean in the napkin, and place the napkin in a 1g plastic bag. Fold the bag over 2-3 times, don't close the end of the bag.
4. Put the folded bag (should be about 3" wide, and 8" long) on your cable box/stereo receiver or anything that stays warm. (I find heating mats temperature varies too much. Electric boxes just wok better for me. I then place a guitar pick or small item on the bag.
5. Check the bag for a tap root after 24 hours, and then check every 3-6 hours until you see the tap root.
6. Wait until the tap root is about 1/2 inch long, then plant close to the surface with tap root down.
If I just follow those rules, I've had no more issues.