Bleach instead of H2o2

PCXV

Well-Known Member
I haven't had them since switching to hydro, it was one reason I made the jump actually. I'm surprised the mosquito stuff didn't work. Not sure if I'd add bleach to soil as yes it will kill everything. Less watering, sharp sand, sticky tape, I tried everything and then went to hydro lol. They didn't seem to do any harm but just hated having them in my buds when I harvested.
Yeah I read here bleach reacts with the acids in soil: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/663052

That is a shroom site so IDK if it applies but I'm leaning against bleach right now.

The mosquito bits are slowly working, just got done checking, killing, and cleaning, and it seems the population is declining. Still, I might try H202 again in higher concentration like 1:4 as Ive read in a few places online (I only did 2tsp per gallon before).

So I'm still curious if H202 will 'kill' or counteract the 'inactive' bti bacteria in the Mosquito Bits?
 

Budley Doright

Well-Known Member
Yeah I read here bleach reacts with the acids in soil: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/663052

That is a shroom site so IDK if it applies but I'm leaning against bleach right now.

The mosquito bits are slowly working, just got done checking, killing, and cleaning, and it seems the population is declining. Still, I might try H202 again in higher concentration like 1:4 as Ive read in a few places online (I only did 2tsp per gallon before).

So I'm still curious if H202 will 'kill' or counteract the 'inactive' bti bacteria in the Mosquito Bits?
Yes probably, it's a bacteria killer. I tried it as well but perhaps not enough.
 

PCXV

Well-Known Member
Yes probably, it's a bacteria killer. I tried it as well but perhaps not enough.
Seems logical, but I can't find the definition of 'inactive bacteria'. I read somewhere online that bti is an made inactive with enzymes, that the bacteria doesn't come back alive in the soil or get 'activated' it simply gets eaten by the larvae and kills them. That description makes it sound like there is no bacteria to kill, that the larvae are essentially eating dead bacteria specks.
 

Wastei

Well-Known Member
Need some input. I'm dealing with fungus gnats. Soil has zero nutrients or mycos (Aged bark, peat moss, coconut coir, pumice, perlite, lime, dolomite, gypsum, and yucca) + 50% perlite, I'm full synthetic. I first used H202 seemed to help, then I got bti bacteria (mosquito bits), and now I'm considering 4ppm bleach through the soil.

Will bleach "kill" the "inactive bacteria" bti and thus be counter-productive, or does "inactive" mean the bacteria is already dead?

Will bleach kill fungus and gnat larvae?
I usually sort the fungus gnat problem with a dry period and blue/yellow sticky pads. I usally order them from china on ebay, very large and cheap yellow sticky sheets. I cut and glue them like a circle around the inside of the pot. I have some spacing from the top of the pot to the soil level just for attaching sticky pads on my promix girls. If the adult population can't reproduce they will soon decline.

If I catch it early on it's usually not a big problem. You could try and add some neem meal to the soil to kill the gnat larvae. If you want faster result make a tea solution either by the boil and drain method or by aerate the solution with air pump in a bucket with neem meal/cake and mycos. Something that should also work is simply adding a layer of sand at the top layer of the pot, but have never tried this method myself.
 

kaoss_11

Well-Known Member
Just to help in a old as thread I put 200ml of bleach in a gal of water. From there I dose at 2-4ml per gallon. Much easier to work with in larger or smaller res.

The logic i used was
if 1 drop bleach = .05 ml 8.25% concentration is what i use
then 200ml bleach / 3785ml h20 = .05 diluted solution per ml

Been doing this for a month with no issues thus far.
 

Dennydank

Member
Do you think the majority of commercial hydroponic green house growers are wrong. They use chlorine at 4 ppm or higher added into the pipesfeeding the irrigation spray heads so as to m not waster chlorine in the reservoirs through dissipation. I recommend 2.5 ppm as an initail treatment reduced to 0.5 ppm as a residual level of chlorine. Tap water is allowed to contain up to 4 ppm at customers faucets. Thousands of growers of mj use tap water without any removal of chlorine. 10's of thousands of people water their houseplants, flowers and lawns with water containiing up to 4 ppm of chlorine. Plants can tolerate extremely high anounts of chlorine. they ac not tolerate chloride. Fish can tolerate high levels of chloride but not chlorine. Salt is sodium chloride. Plants can not tolerate high levels of chloride Caphese.

Hydrogen peroxide is a much stronger oxidizer than chlorine. It is much easier to cause problems using hydrogen peroxide than to use chlorox bleach.

Too many myths in forums and on the web. Have you heard of Pythoff. It is sold in two versions. Professional/commercial made with chloroamine or hobby grade made with chlorine.

http://www.flairform.com/Products/pythoff.htm http://www.urbangardenershop.com.au/product/457/default.asp
the MSDS for hobby grade:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGklFzIeFLdm0AkIxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEybGVibTBpBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0g0NjVfNzk-/SIG=12mrpieok/EXP=1273131763/**http://www.flairform.com/downloads/msds_pythoff_hobby_strength.pdf

When your wrong your wrong. This time your very wrong. Consider your self corrected.
 

bleacher

Member
Okay I'm sold on using bleach to disinfect my water. To allay fears of toxicity, what if I use sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate the water after letting it sit with bleach for a while? Sodium thiosulfate is used to remove chlorine from aquarium water so it's safe for fish. I like to use Azos which is a bacteria and I assume it would be safe to use this with dechlorinated bleached water.
 

kovidkough

Well-Known Member
Okay I'm sold on using bleach to disinfect my water. To allay fears of toxicity, what if I use sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate the water after letting it sit with bleach for a while? Sodium thiosulfate is used to remove chlorine from aquarium water so it's safe for fish. I like to use Azos which is a bacteria and I assume it would be safe to use this with dechlorinated bleached water.
the bleach will kill the azos, it kills covid lol
 

kovidkough

Well-Known Member
Please explain. I understand chlorine is the active killing ingredient in bleach. Shouldn't removing it make it harmless to all organic matter?
ah you are correct sir, nevermind I wasnt thinking fully your theory sounds alot better then
 

rkymtnman

Well-Known Member
Okay I'm sold on using bleach to disinfect my water. To allay fears of toxicity, what if I use sodium thiosulfate to dechlorinate the water after letting it sit with bleach for a while? Sodium thiosulfate is used to remove chlorine from aquarium water so it's safe for fish. I like to use Azos which is a bacteria and I assume it would be safe to use this with dechlorinated bleached water.
your plants aren't gonna like much of that sodium. why not just bubble it for 24hrs to remove chlorine?
 

bleacher

Member
your plants aren't gonna like much of that sodium. why not just bubble it for 24hrs to remove chlorine?
4 NaClO + Na2S2O3 + 2 NaOH → 4 NaCl + 2 Na2SO4 + H2O This is the reaction according to Wiki. It does produce sodium chloride but enough to hurt the plants? I tried letting the bleached water sit in a open container and was still detecting chlorine days after but without using a bubbler. I'll give the bubbler a try. Thanks
 

rkymtnman

Well-Known Member
4 NaClO + Na2S2O3 + 2 NaOH → 4 NaCl + 2 Na2SO4 + H2O This is the reaction according to Wiki. It does produce sodium chloride but enough to hurt the plants? I tried letting the bleached water sit in a open container and was still detecting chlorine days after but without using a bubbler. I'll give the bubbler a try. Thanks
if i was going to add something, it would be vitamin C to remove chlorine. but bubbling requires least amount of effort.
 

mr4tune

Well-Known Member
Why are you worried about the chlorine toxicity? I run sterile systems and I've never had any issues or signs of toxicity from chlorine.
 

bleacher

Member
Why are you worried about the chlorine toxicity? I run sterile systems and I've never had any issues or signs of toxicity from chlorine.
Just for the beneficial bacteria and fungi. Actually I already tried using the dechlorinator and noticed some negative effects. I didn't know if it was residual bleach or the dechlorinator causing it. The plants turned a bit yellower with streaks on the lower leaves. They recovered after a week.
 
>
Top