Bleach instead of H2o2

kingromano

Well-Known Member
Just for the beneficial bacteria and fungi. Actually I already tried using the dechlorinator and noticed some negative effects. I didn't know if it was residual bleach or the dechlorinator causing it. The plants turned a bit yellower with streaks on the lower leaves. They recovered after a week.
chlorine contained in your tap water will not make plants yellow
plants can tolerate way heavier doses than the 1-2ppm of your tap water
city water is actually very well suited for sterile hydroponics
it's sterilised and sent to you with enough chlorine to reach you clean and free of pathogens

but to use your beneficials it's problematic
to run with bennies you need to use 100 % ro water, or recover the condensate water of your air conditionners/dehumidifiers
or eventually rain water if it's clean

dont forget to use soft water nutrients with RO water
don't do the regular nutrients+calmag thing
use soft water suited nutrients
 
Last edited:

pinner420

Well-Known Member
I'm wondering how many rdwc threads I've read over the years with guys seeking 2 gpw were just to cheap to buy a 300 dollar chiller. c'mon man.. H's and O's for me 29% h202 is cheap and don't need a chem degree to know that an 02 bond will just add O.
 

SuperiorBuds

Well-Known Member
I'm wondering how many rdwc threads I've read over the years with guys seeking 2 gpw were just to cheap to buy a 300 dollar chiller. c'mon man.. H's and O's for me 29% h202 is cheap and don't need a chem degree to know that an 02 bond will just add O.
Lots of ways to handle this for sure. Personally I like HTH Pool Shock, a $6 bag will treat thousands of gallons of water. Even with my chiller I prefer to run sterile, it's eliminated any problems I used to run into. And unlike bleach the shock is calcium hypochlorite not sodium hypochlorite. Breaks down cleanly within a few days, too.
 

bleacher

Member
QUOTE]
chlorine contained in your tap water will not make plants yellow
I used a lot of bleach, 1 ml per gal because I'm using stored rainwater which I know is full of pythium. Also could be the particular bleach I used. Noticed it said "with fabric protection" on the bottle. I'm going to try cutting it down to .5 ml/gal and use regular plain bleach. Then use a bubbler.
 

kingromano

Well-Known Member
QUOTE]

I used a lot of bleach, 1 ml per gal because I'm using stored rainwater which I know is full of pythium. Also could be the particular bleach I used. Noticed it said "with fabric protection" on the bottle. I'm going to try cutting it down to .5 ml/gal and use regular plain bleach. Then use a bubbler.
are you using chlorine or beneficials ?
you can't use both

beneficials is the way to go for you
rainwater+beneficials=good
 

bleacher

Member
are you using chlorine or beneficials ?
you can't use both

beneficials is the way to go for you
rainwater+beneficials=good
I guess I have to explain again. I'm using stored rainwater that was comes off my roof and goes into my gutters. I know this is full of pythium. It must be from all the dust in the air and on the roof. I had several grows in coco with bad root rot. I want to disinfect my water with bleach, remove the chlorine, then use the benes. By removing the chlorine I mean either chemically with dechlor or bubbling it away. BTW there are dechlorination products specifically for hydroponics available.
 

rkymtnman

Well-Known Member
I guess I have to explain again. I'm using stored rainwater that was comes off my roof and goes into my gutters. I know this is full of pythium. It must be from all the dust in the air and on the roof. I had several grows in coco with bad root rot. I want to disinfect my water with bleach, remove the chlorine, then use the benes. By removing the chlorine I mean either chemically with dechlor or bubbling it away. BTW there are dechlorination products specifically for hydroponics available.
i had to re-read your post but i figured out what you are trying to do.

if you want to be really cost-effective, i'm pretty sure you can make your own filter of sand to run your rainwater thru which will remove any nasties too.
 
>
Top