Input from experienced growers?

Redeyes82

Active Member
Been having mold issues since moving into new house. 2 crops have developed a strong acrid smell that stings the nose during flowering. Starts after week 5-6 and takes over every single bud no matter the size or location. I checked frequently this last run by squeezing buds everyday and then I got the smell one day in top buds. I then immediately checked tiny lower buds. Same bad smell starting. It’s a problem that is pretty uniform and unlike any mold/fungal issue I’ve dealt with on live plants. Humidity has been 35-45%. I recognize this smell from bad curing in the past but I’m now having it happen with live plants. No visible signs of mold. I let one plant go 3 weeks after noticing the smell. It still showed zero visible signs of mold. This has to be spore colonies at the least that are building up. Feels like this place is cursed or something. It’s been pretty devastating for me. Any thoughts on this?
 
Last edited:

Redeyes82

Active Member
Follow the water.
I get RO water from a few different places. I will add this..I’ve been on my landlord about doing something to keep the rain water from building up close to door because of the driveway slope. I think it has made its way in here in the past. I’ve found evidence. I won’t even smoke this. The flavor is altered. Smells like unnatural lemony and maybe a bit of ammonia and spice. Burns the nose when smelling a bud. Burns the nose when smoking it. You can’t taste your drink as well for an hour or so after smoking it. Was some beautiful buds. Total waste
 

Redeyes82

Active Member
I’ve been thinking about an air purifier. A good one. I’ll check it out. I think I’m seeing mold on Carpet pad leading from hallway by front door which is ground level with driveway sloping right to it. Crazy right? In the bedrooms off the hallway the pad smells musty. Possibly a few mold specks on baseboards in hallway by front door. I don’t have the money to replace all this. I’m gonna atleast treat the carpet which doesn’t help the pad and treat the walls. I’ll get a good air purifier and keep that humidity down even lower.
 

Redeyes82

Active Member
After eliminating any moisture issues, get a hotel, treat every room in your house with something like this.
View attachment 5038179
That’ll rid the air of spores for sure from the little I know about them. Will more spores make their way through the air after using it? I’ll keep the place as dry as I can but just learning more about mold now. Like if I walk on carpet can it kick up spores into the air? This can be a real issue. I’ll walk away from everything and leave with just my cats and the clothes on my back if my next run does this again.
 

Redeyes82

Active Member
Another important thing. When I moved in the humidity in here stayed at around 70-80% beginning of summer. This house sits across the street from a lake. I reduced humidity in grow room but it did no good obviously. The rest of the house is humid as hell. I don’t want to have to run dehumidifiers 24/7 all through the house on top of running several air purifers and all that. Then you got my lights and all the fans and it’s just a bit much for me. I’m not confident that simply running an air purifier in the grow room and keeping Humidity down in there will help. that high humidity come spring or summer will probably make the mold on carpet pad in other rooms and hallway start spending and then more spores to deal with. Idk. I’m really seeing myself having to move
 

Redeyes82

Active Member
.

I bought a hydrogen trioxide generator from Sage Industries, it seems to have taken care of my powdery mildew problems.
I’ll look into it. I’m really going to have to deep dive and learn all about mold and the spores. I had to trash 4 pounds the first run here. About to trash this harvest as well. Every last bud is ruined . I’m not understanding why it never shows visible mold. You’d think the spores colonizing would eventually show growth
 

Redeyes82

Active Member
I found these and they sound good.
.

I bought a hydrogen trioxide generator from Sage Industries, it seems to have taken care of my powdery mildew problems.
L*wes sells a $10 uv flashlight for spotting mold, just don’t let your wife use it in the bathroom:wall:
thank you. I’ll order one and I’m gonna have to look into a test I can buy that maybe can indicate spore levels in air as well. I want to be able to test air and see that my efforts are paying off if they do. I hate guesswork and running another crop and just hoping tnings are working out. This issue is worse than powdery mildew and bud rot by far. It renders an entire crop useless. Every last bud. Strikes fast without a visible warning. Air circulation and humidity levels seem to be irrelevant. This shit just takes over
 

Redeyes82

Active Member
.

I bought a hydrogen trioxide generator from Sage Industries, it seems to have taken care of my powdery mildew problems.
I found these. They sound good. Seems as effective as ozone generator but safe to be around. Will have to research more. This would be a better option for me than ozone because the spores may be a continuous problem to fight off 1696D0E2-F586-4385-82CC-D3316AA49EA0.png
 

Redeyes82

Active Member
I wish. It burns when i
So there's no signs of mold but you're sure it's mold? Maybe your sniffer is on the fritz?
i wish but it Burns when I smell them. All different strains but their terps all eventually fade behind a kinda spicy lemony ammonia type smell. It’s just my weed and not other peoples weed that is like this
 

Jjgrow420

Well-Known Member
I wish. It burns when i
i wish but it Burns when I smell them. All different strains but their terps all eventually fade behind a kinda spicy lemony ammonia type smell. It’s just my weed and not other peoples weed that is like this
Is it something your using maybe? Water nutes additives?
I duno if I'd go right to mold man. There should be signs of mold or mildew especially late in flower if that's what it is.
Can you get your final product tested? That would give you the answer if it's mold or not
 

hotrodharley

Well-Known Member
I’ll look into it. I’m really going to have to deep dive and learn all about mold and the spores. I had to trash 4 pounds the first run here. About to trash this harvest as well. Every last bud is ruined . I’m not understanding why it never shows visible mold. You’d think the spores colonizing would eventually show growth
Often fungi require microscopy to even visualize it. Especially spores. A single spore can results in many more if conditions are favorable and it blooms basically. Spores are inert and can survive extreme heat and cold. They can remain viable for very long periods of time. An air purifier and keeping your humidity as controlled as possible are your best bets as far as tools. If cleaning repeat it a few times. Spores are not susceptible to most interventions except for ultrafiltration. So some may bloom because of moisture associated with cleaning. Get them again. Citric acid is your friend.
 

Redeyes82

Active Member
This sounds like a plan. The bitch
Often fungi require microscopy to even visualize it. Especially spores. A single spore can results in many more if conditions are favorable and it blooms basically. Spores are inert and can survive extreme heat and cold. They can remain viable for very long periods of time. An air purifier and keeping your humidity as controlled as possible are your best bets as far as tools. If cleaning repeat it a few times. Spores are not susceptible to most interventions except for ultrafiltration. So some may bloom because of moisture associated with cleaning. Get them again. Citric acid is your friend.
Sounds like a solid plan. Ive been reading about ozone generators,hydroxyl generators and hepa air filters for the last hour. Seems the hepa really is a good choice. I’ll probably do the hepa but I plan on getting a really high quality one so I’ll probably spend close to $500 or more. Should probably get Another one for the hallway near room and maybe block off duct vent or run an air filter near the furnace. Im sure spores were making their way to the plants multiple ways. Surely coming through the ducting. I cringe every time the heat kicks on. I worry that walking on the carpet will kick up spores from deep inside fabric or in the padding. Will the hepa keep up with that if it’s a constant thing? I mean I’m sure some spores will make it to the plant but from what I understand there are always spores in the air and they always probably get on plants but don’t colonize or turn into mold as long as humidity is low and air exchange is good. I just don’t understand why I’m having the issue cause my humidity and air flow is good. I’m guessing it’s just due to fact of overwhelming volume of spores landing on plants
 
Last edited:
>
Top