After struggling for about a year under that QB I learned allot about them. They are awesome if you have the ceiling height & or evenly distributed boards.BRB going to tape some baking paper under the QB's . But really would that work, or has anyone even tested different materials on LED's and how well they work in comparison? I'm now wondering what material i should get and how to attach them/it to the board (without fire hazard and how close the material should be for maximum effect). So many things are starting to make sense to me now!
My Diffusion test was done by accident. This cover was defective, causing a frost effect. I took it off to try to buff it out & low & behold, that section of the plant looked like it stopped growing compared to the clear lens right next to it. Leaves went yellow, all the signs of "led deficiency"/"growers error"/too high intensity even with low #'s, kicked in. The umol difference was only like 10-20umol. Was all documented but now that thread is MIA.
Even backed up that light away some more. That section of the plant was around 700ppfd. Same plant had another HLG, 96 ELITE ,320 watter on the other side. That had a reading of up to 1250 umol in many places with very little I'll effect, that didn't really kick in till the end of the plants life cycle by leaves yellowing prematurely. In retrospect, the frosted lens has put out a healthier section all along, just never realized it till then. Its funny how the clear lenses act as diffusion as well, good enough to where I was shocked & talking all about how the 96's did not give me my typical led plant problems at the time. Well, I now accredit the covers.
Now I plan on giving each one a light wet-sand on the insides. Goal is a 50-70% frosted look.
The study I read showed 70% doing the best of the frosteds.
Greenhouse studies as we as photographer studies explaining why the object actually gets more light by means of engulfing the object (plant).
Lose 7% light output to gain up to 30% more flower, never-mind avoiding plant problems & being able to use the 1000-1500 ppf instead of 650, creating Flarf.
633.5 KB Views: 21
1.1 MB Views: 22